[Scilab-users] ?= Re: ?= =?utf-8?q? parallel_run

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Tue Sep 24 09:29:21 CEST 2019

Le 23/09/2019 à 23:13, stephane.mottelet at utc.fr a écrit :

> Hello Antoine,
>
> Before judging that some code is just a "dirty hack" you should first
> get into the code and see hows things are written. The implementation
> in 5.5.2 was using OpenMP so I don't see anything dirty here. The
> implementation was unstable under OSX and Linux, and under Windows
> parallel_run was just making calls sequentially. So no "dirty hack"
> under Windows but just a shortcut. Octave does also the same with
> Matlatb's parfor : it just does things sequentially. However, even
> unstable, parallel_run was very useful (I used it a lot under Linux to
> do some Monte Carlo estimation on a 40 processor machine). It is a
> pity that it's re-engineering for 6.0 familiy was not a priority.

Hello Stephane,

I'm sorry, I did not want to sound rude calling it a "dirty hack".
It's just the explanation I got from scilab developers last time I
discussed with them about it.
We were trying to get similar performances under linux/osx/windows with
some code using parallel_run.
That was a dead end.

Having any sort of parallel computing under scilab 6.0.2 would be a real
step forward for us.
I have played a bit with julia to see what it means parallelizing some
code in julia.
It was quite easy.
I don't know whether a similar approach can be implemented in scilab.

Antoine