[Scilab-users] Why window() provides only symmetric weighting?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Fri Apr 9 20:29:15 CEST 2021

Dear Federico,

Thank you for the proposal.
I am afraid that the "symmetric" and "periodic" flag names are not
intuitive to me.
Indeed, the generated window is /always/ both periodic and symmetric. It
is anyway "algorithmically seen" as periodic (from a spectral point of
view), since it is regularly sampled, while regular-sampling and
periodicity are FT-dual.

The point is that it is either *open*, or *closed* (what is rather
expected, for a window. Sorry for the (serious) joke :-), with a closing
point at the same level as the opening one.

I know from where these "symmetric" and "periodic" keyworks come from.
But, sorry, i can't resolve myself blindly copy others without
discussion. Badly naming things usually become counterproductive,
noticeably when teaching (here signal processing).

For contribution,

Best regards
Samuel