[Scilab-users] Difference between coverage and profiling functions?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Jan 28 14:14:52 CET 2021

Dear all,

After removing the former set of useful and handy profiling functions
used in Scilab 5, two sets of new functions dedicated to diagnosis of
code performances are proposed in Scilab 6:

  * coverage functions: covStart, covStop, codeWrite, codeMerge
  * profiling functions: profileEnable, profileDisable, profileGetInfo

They are gathered in the same section:
https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/section_c03e1a5123246ff8c6ebb512f543c540.html

I am wondering about the difference between both sets. I mean, i don't
understand when using coverage functions, and when using profiling ones.
By the way, when using *profile*GetInfo(), the two main fields of the
result are about *coverage*:

  *

    profileGetInfo().*FunctionCoverage*

  *

    profileGetInfo().*LineCoverage*

I am afraid i am lost... Are these 2 sets doing the same thing and the
difference is just in the presentation of the results (then has this
really deserved two distinct sets, noticeably with start and stop
duplicates?), or are they really about distinct usages for distinct
information?

Thanks for any informed clarification about these important tools. For
the time being, i am just unable to use them, and Scilab-5-like
profiling results miss me.

Best regards

Samuel Gougeon