[Scilab-users] What is the status of Scilab as an organisation/project in 2022?

Chris Pounds chrisp at poundsc.org
Fri Nov 25 13:03:53 CET 2022

Good afternoon.

I wanted to get a handle on the state of Scilab but I'm having a hard time putting it together.

>From social media accounts, its like Scilab froze in the middle of 2020.

Theres no recent news beyond the release of 6.1.1 in 2021.

Links to the mailing lists on the website are broken.

Searching for the mailing list finds entries on mail archive, where there is some information that Scilab development has moved to Gitlab and Scilab has apparently been bought by 3DS from ESI.

I have a few questions:

What is the state of Scilab these days?

What is the road map for further development or communication with either the current or prospective users, since most people will stop at the broken mailing list link (assuming that the mailing list itself doesn't put people off in this age of forums, discourse, discord etc)?

What does the acquisition by 3DS mean for the project? The original announcement to this mailing list was 30 days after the action itself and nearly 90 days has passed since that time without further information.

With best regards,

Chris Pounds.