[Scilab-Dev] Re: Re: Leaving SVN to GIT

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Tue Sep 30 17:39:13 CEST 2008

> Now on the other hand I really do not see how git will fix the problem
> you just said.
Because from a checkout of a git repository, you can have multiple
references to misc branches:
Ie, you can say "please, get me the change from this branch"
or "this time, the trunk".

> I do not try to discourage your choice. I mean at the end it's
> your(Scilab dev team) concerns and this could be more of a
> philosophical debate but I do often use the svn repo as I'm coding
> from the trunk and the idea of dealing with git is a bit discouraging.
To be more pragmatic, svn is what ? 5 commands ?
$ svn add
$ svn remove
$ svn checkout (once!)
$ svn commit
$ svn update

(ok, svn diff & svn log but for power user).

With git, the commands become:
$ git add
$ git rm
$ git clone
$ git commit -a
$ git pull

You need these commands to do the same as SVN.