[Scilab-Dev] Re: [scilab-Users] Mac OS 10.5 Compilation issue

Eric E whalesuit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:58:33 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Sylvestre Ledru
<sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 05 janvier 2009 à 22:51 -0500, Eric E a écrit :
>> Hi Sylvestre,
>>   Here's the Makefile...  Dunno if this would work, but it occurred to
>> me that I could try using an alias in .bashrc to alias install -D to
>> install -d or some such.  I'll let you know if that works.
> OK, thanks.
> I don't see any reference of a -D option used with install :|

Yeah, I couldn't find anything with grep myself.  I'll see if that
shell alias thing might work.

>> I also ran scilab with and with the -nw flag.  When I ran it without -nw, I got:
>> Localization: setlocale didn't exist on the computer used to compile
>> Scilab ! This is abnormal ! No localization will be working for this
>> distribution of Scilab.
>> and that is indeed the error that appears in all the error files from
>> make check.  Running scilab normally (i.e., without the -nw flag)
>> brings up the standard Scilab command screen, which appears to work
>> but won't accept any input from the keyboard.
> OK, it is also my current status in the Mac OS X portage. Everything is
> working but the input (unfortunately, it is a *bit* important).

Hmmm... sounds like I've reached approximately the point you've reached.

>>  Setlocale is present on
>> my machine (or at least configure thinks so:
>> checking for setlocale... yes
>> Some initial googling about setlocale indicates that there may be some
>> weirdness about Apple's X11 implementation and setlocale.
> Yep, I am aware of this. For now, I put some dirty hack. I have to see what is the way under MacOSX.
Ok, makes sense - I guess I'll ignore those warnings for now.

>> When I run scilab with the -nw flag, the command window doesn't
>> appear.  Am I correct or incorrect to guess that -nw is like -nw for
>> Emacs: don't use X windows or something like that?
> nw is: console in the terminal + graphic capabilities
> nwni is: console without any graphic capabilities and without any link
> to the Java

So it sounds like if I resolve this path issue for the jars, the port
should be more or less functional in nw mode?  I think I can work with
that and with the Windows version for a bit until the Mac port
advances a bit more.

> That means that the java engine cannot file the JNI lib libjogl.jnilib.
> You have to add the path to the directory where is the lib in
> etc/librarypath.xml
Aha - I'll have a look for that.

Thanks again for all the help,

Eric