[Scilab-Dev] Change URLs in Scilab documentation

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Sat Jul 28 11:27:45 CEST 2018

Hello Jim,

Le 28/07/2018 à 06:02, Jim Monte a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I was looking for a place to put this suggestion and hopefully have found
> one that is not too far off. When I search for a Scilab topic, I almost
> invariably find that the top links are to outdated documentation. For
> example, instead of getting a link to
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.1/en_US/fscanfMat.html, Google's top links
> are to versions 5.3.0 and 6.0.0 when searching for fscanfMat. To help the
> search engines out, why not put something like "current" where 6.0.1 is in
> the above URL, https://help.scilab.org/docs/current/en_US/fscanfMat.html?
> Then when a new version is released, rename the link to
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.1/en_US/fscanfMat.html
> and have the latest documentation for fscanfMat always at
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/current/en_US/fscanfMat.html.

You may also use uman() (from https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/uman)
with its w option: Then you will always target the online help version of
your current Scilab version, without external search engine, which
by the way is an energy-saving solution.

A version of uman() making it able to display the local HTML help pages
in the web browser is in preparation.

But of course, anyway, for it, Scilab needs to be running.

Best regards
Samuel