[scilab-Users] Matlab which equivalent

François Vogel fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Sun Oct 26 14:07:14 CET 2008

Maki 1sy8 said on 26/10/2008 13:40:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM, François Vogel <fvogelnew1 at free.fr> wrote:
>> Maki 1sy8 said on 26/10/2008 12:55:
>>> Do you know if scilab provides an equivalent to the Matlab command
>>> 'which' ? It allows to know the file containing a given function.
>> help whereis
>> This will give you the name of the library containing a function.
>>
>> Or use Scipad to open the function itself: File/Open source of...
>
> In fact, I already tried whereis. But for example 'whereis poly'
> returned me an empty matrix and 'whereis mean' returned me
> statisticslib.

whereis only provides the name of the *library* where a Scilab
keyword/function is stored, and only if it is written in Scilab language.

> Which doesn't tell much about where the definitions of
> these functions are actually located

Scipad does it (see my previous post). It does it basically through
get_function_path

> (even if they are not written in
> the scilab language themselves).

AFAIK, there is no way of knowing from Scilab where a function coded
in c or fortran is stored in the Scilab source tree.

> BTW, I couldn't see in the FAQ or in the doc the meaning of all the
> extension/type of files used and recognized by Scilab. What is the
> difference between .sce and .sci,

Just a convention.

> what are their intended uses ?

.sci: functions
.sce: executable (level 0) code

All this only by convention. Scilab doesn't care. You can
getf("mywonderfulfoobar.thebestscript") if you want to.

> What
> exactly are in .sav files, etc ..?

See help save_format.

Francois