[scilab-Users] Re: newbie question-probably an easy answer!

Mathieu Dubois mathieu.dubois at limsi.fr
Thu Aug 11 15:20:17 CEST 2011

Hello,

Le 11/08/2011 12:39, bazcor a écrit :
> Thanks very much for the reply  Mathieu, it is very informative,I'm surprised
> to be the first to find a bug! Guess everyone else is using multidimensional
> matrix.

I'm surprised too!

> Not had any luck with the patch, I inserted the line 'if size(x,o)==1 then
> s=0; return, end' at line 44, but there does not seem to be any difference
> in the lines quoted at line 59? 'if size(x,o)==1 then s=0; return, end', is
> this a typo'?
>
> I'm sure this a fault on my part, I am very much just a beginner with
> Scilab, but I did manage to apply the patch, but the result was the same.

Hum, did it work or not?

If not, here is the file I have modified. Save it in the same folder as
'test_bazcor.sce' (sorry I didn't find a better name :).

The patch was mainly for scilab developers.

> I was unable to run the file 'test_bazcor.sce' as I basically don't know
> how, but my original script behaved exactly the same producing the zero
> result in stdevf.

Under scilab, click on Applications -> SciNotes: the editor will open.
You can then open the file 'test_bazcor.sce' and click on the execute icon

Note that you must be in the directory in which you downloaded the files
(see help("cwd")). Otherwise the script won't work.

My advice: if you don't understand something, you can look into the doc
directly from the editor: right click on the function and then on "help
about ...".

Again I don't think that my modification of stdevf.sci definitely solves
the problem.

> Thanks for the info again and for your time in looking into this.

You may try a simple workaround for your case: use row vectors instead
of column vectors.
  b=[2,3,4,5]'
  fre=[1,1,1,2]'
should work (' is the transpose operator in scilab).

See attached file (test_stdevf.sce).