[Scilab-users] Licensing question

Urban Simoncic urban.simoncic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:33:25 CEST 2013

Dear Scilab Community,

I have a question about Scilab licensing. I would like to develop an
application based on Scilab (modified Scilab, GUI as a Scilab function
and application functionality as a Scilab library and/or external module
in C) and distribute everything (modified Scilab and my code) together
as an application. What of that (modified Scilab, GUI as a Scilab
function, my Scilab library and my external module in C) I have to
distribute with sources? I am sure that I would have to open sources for
modified Scilab and I don't care for that. I don't know for GUI and
Scilab libraries (if necessary, I could open them). But I would expect
that at least external modules can be distributed in binary form only
(section 5.3.3. in license). However, I am not sure if they can be
distributed together with the rest of the application that is under
CeCILL, or I would have to distribute separately my external modules
under my license and modified Scilab under CeCILL and expect that user
will stack all that together?

Is it possible to get "official explantion" for such case, so that I can
claim it, if I am sued later for violating the license?

Best Regards,
Urban