[Scilab-users] Convert x, y, z data into a z=f(x,y) function

Dang, Christophe Christophe.Dang at sidel.com
Tue Jun 25 10:19:33 CEST 2013

Hello,

De la part de Larissa
Envoyé : mardi 25 juin 2013 09:52

> I conducted an experiment and thus my results are composed of
> x,y,z data,
[...]
> but I can't figure out how to get an equation "z=f(x,y)" out of it.

This is more a math problem than a Scilab problem.

You must have a mathematical model, i.e. a parametric formula,
then you can adjust the parameters by regression (or maximum likehood).

You may have theoretical models that derive from elementary assumptions
-- you usually find such model in the bibliography --,
or use a "nice model that fit the global shape"
-- you may ask the math laboratory in your neighbourhood,
this is usually polynomials, exponentials, statistical laws...

So if you come to us with a parametric model,
we will be able to help you.

best regards.

--
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan