[Scilab-users] Symbolic computation in Scilab

Pablo Fonovich pablo_f_7 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:50:18 CEST 2015

Hi:
As far as i know, scilab does not have a symbolic function for an infinite summation...
Scilab is mainly intended for numeric calculation... so that functions are not yet implemented (perhaps in future versions).

If you want to do a symbolic calculation of the z-transfor you mentioned, and you want free software, i would use maxima... It's a powerfull symbolic software...

In maxima you could simply do

"sum(0.5^n*z^(-n), n, 1, inf), simpsum;"

then, you will have to input some conditions that you can see from the ROC of the z-transform... In this case maxima will ask:

"Is "2*abs(z)-1" positive, negative or zero?"

And i assume it's possitive given the function you want to transform... then you type

"p"

and you will get the answer...

If someone knows a toolbox for scilab to do this... please tell us!

I hope this is usefull for you