[Scilab-users] Sockets in scilab 6.0

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Jul 12 11:59:45 CEST 2018

Hello James,

A new release of the socket_toolbox is now available on ATOMS (version
2.0.2):
https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/socket_toolbox
It is recompiled for Scilab 6.0 and is now visible and installable in a
straightforward way with Scilab 6.

Some of the issues that you have met and described are fixed (or
attenuated):
Please see the CHANGES 2.0.1 => 2.0.2  section in the description.

As indicated in the WARNING section, socket_toolbox for Scilab 6.0 may
be affected by the bug http://bugzilla.scilab.org/15607 that is specific
to Scilab 6.
However, when trying some simple requests, even the former
socket_toolbox release made Scilab 5.5.2 crashed.

The "sync" option is now used in SOCKET_read() to improve
synchronization issues yielding the "mat" error. But there are still
some issues: for a same given request, sometimes SOCKET_read() returns
successfully, sometimes it does not return at all.
Despite i think 2.0.2 is better as well for Scilab 5.5, i did not push
any binaries for Scilab 5.5 for it.

May be some parts of SOCKET_read() would deserve being rewritten.
As well, SOCKET_pause() used in SOCKET_query() looks a bit strange to me,
instead of simply using sleep().

It looks also that when the returned content has some single quotes ',
it makes troubles with SOCKET_read(). This was clearly a part of the
issue with the demo pointing to www.google.fr.
I have tried to protect ' as " already are, but it does not work. More
work is needed on this side.

I hope this release will improve the situation for your usage cases.
Please do not hesitate to report your trials results on the ATOMS page.

Best regards
Samuel