[Scilab-users] Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

Nikolay Strelkov n.strelkov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 15:40:09 CEST 2018

Dear Claus!

As a temporarily fix you can read this solution on AskUbuntu -
https://askubuntu.com/a/1029164/66509 . I have tested it. Unpacking to home
folder works as expected (and as before).

Dear Scilab developers!

As long-time Scilab user I can't completely understand how this may happen.
Please take a look to the mentioned bugs in the linked answer above and
make real actions to fix these problems. Scilab is completely broken in
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (so without real actions it will be broken until 2023) and
does not work on development version 18.10 too. Also it does not work on
Debian 10. Please contact Debian and/or Ubuntu maintainers directly.

Scilab is very often used in educational purposes. For example we use it on
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in our university to teach students.
It will be very bad if we lose such a convenient and useful software-tool.

---

*With best regards,Ph.D., *

*associate professor at MPEI
<http://mpei.ru/lang/en/Pages/default.aspx>,IEEE member,maintainer of