[Scilab-users] CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Wed Oct 30 22:43:03 CET 2019

Le 30/10/2019 à 21:51, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I think a half-high (centered) dot "·" is a better (and more standard)
> multiplication sign, it does not take much space and it cannot be
> confused with the decimal separator ".", for instance
>
> 1 + Ts·s - A·s^2
>
> 1 + 2.·s - 0.27·s^2
>
> However, I think the decimal dot shouldn't be used in a block diagram,
> its only use is to indicate they are real numbers, but block diagrams
> never refer to integers so the decimal dot is somewhat pedantic.

?
When a decimal number is integer, the dot is not displayed. With your
dot, it would give
1 + 2·s - 0.27·s^2
So the confusion could be only with cases like 1 + 2.55.s

I was told that in formulae, the most standard is to use space between
multiplied symbols.
This is what looks the most widely used. Please see for example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocorrelation or any other page using a
lot of maths.

Output with \cdot :

vs wider space