[Scilab-users] Why window() provides only symmetric weighting?

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Thu Feb 11 08:12:30 CET 2021

Dear All,

I wonder why windowing functions such as Hann, Hamming, etc., provided
by window(), are only symmetric.

When used for spectral analysis by subsequent use of fft(), the periodic
weighting is better than the symmetric one. The symmetric window is
mainly used in the design of FIR filters, which I guess is a less
frequent application than spectral analysis.

While it is true that an easy workaround to get a periodic window of
length n is, for instance

w = window("hn", n+1)(1:$-1);

a syntax such as this

w = window("hn", n, "per");

would be easier.Setting "sym" as the default option, no backward
compatibility issues would possibly arise.

Regards,

Federico Miyara